Thursday, March 19, 2015

Appreciating communication and Culture

Activity no. 5

Culture can be defined as, learned behaviors that are communicated from one generation to another to promote individual and social structure.

https://wheelerblogs.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/wilf-logo.jpg
In our subject with Mr. Dacawe, I've learned a lot of things about Communication and Culture. I learned that it is also important that we know more about the nature of culture and communication and how culture may relate to communication or vice versa. Most people will agree that communication is the most important part of culture.

I also learned that Communication is also the main tool for social change. Social change is very important in a community because it changes people beliefs and practices. Through communication people are learning how to improve their lives and share something good to other cultures. But there has always been an obstacle in intercultural communication which is the language.
English is an important factor in globalization because it allows people from different places to understand each other. The rise of the English language helps us know more about other cultures. I won’t be able to understand them without the use of English.

For me as a teacher of the universal language, while I taught English to Japanese, Chinese, Arab, Thai’s and Korean students, I faced many difficult intercultural challenges, At first I didn't know what is good and bad in their culture, I have no Idea on how to avoid insensitive and rude questions. Sometimes I tend to hurt them unintentionally. And now I can say that I also learned from my students through communication.

English, whether you like it or not, is the chosen language of international communication. Speaking and understanding English can let a person more easily communicate with others and find more job opportunities not only in his or her home country, but around the world as well. Indeed, English has transitioned from being a culture-specific language to an essential inter-cultural communication tool used to conduct all transactions across cultures around the world.

I enjoyed this subject very much because; it made me realize how important communication to people of different cultures.

To work with different cultures, it is essential to realize the proper use of communication because it helps us to be more understandable. If we are members of different “cultures” and we truly want to understand and communicate with other cultures, we can! “If you want to do it, you can always find ways to do it”.

I've
learned different classifications of cultures and this subject gave me an Idea on how to improve the way I communicate to people with different cultures and beliefs.



I have used the PDF file given by Mr. Dacawe
posted on his blog. Ewacad@work
http://neildax.blogspot.com/

References:
Rising, B. (n.d.). Communication and Culture. Retrieved from http://www.upv.es/diaal/publicaciones/rising1.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment